Rock Springs Distilling Co. (Reg. #18, 2 nd Dist). Alexander Hill and W. H. Perkins operated a small distillery on the Ohio River a mile below Owensboro. In 1881 they sold out to J. H. Welch. By 1889 the owners were A Rosenfield and Abe Hirsch. In 1906 they leased their distillery to Silas Rosenfield for a 10-year period, and by 1917 was operating as Rock Springs Distilling Co.
Branch offices can be found in Chicago and St. Louis.
Read more about this company in the following article:
Edson Bradley: Washington’s Whiskey Millionaire, by Jack Sullivan
The company used the brand names:
"Annapolis Pure Rye", "Courtland", "Hill and Hill", "J. T. Welch", "Kentucky Climax", "Ky Climax", "Ky Colonel", "Old Kaintuckee Kernel", "Old Kentucky Colonel", "Rock Springs", and "Tip Top."
Business name timeline:
Rock Spring Distilling Co.
211 Frederica (1886), 126 Frederica (1889), 120-122 Frederica (1909-1918)
Business category timeline (abbreviations decoded below):
Years that company appeared in directories
Years directories were consulted
Owensboro directory notes
The images below are thumbnails linked to listing pages containing larger, more detailed images and links to related material.
Click on the thumbnails for more information.
1886, 1889, 1909, 1918
1882, 1886, 1889-1890, 1909, 1918
D = distillers, W = Liquor Dealers, Wholesale. Copies include "distillers" only for most years.
Copyright © 2002-2020 pre-pro.com. All rights reserved.
Please contact the glassmaster
with questions or comments.