distillery search  |  pre-pro.com home


The Gwynn Springs Distillery
RD #371, 5 th District
Nelson County, KY



The distillery was located near Hunter's Depot on the L&N Railroad, some 4 miles north of Bardstown. Cecil (1999; p. 137) provides a history.

ca. 1840s-1880: The distillery was managed during this time by Jeff McGee and John B Stoner. It was known as the Gwynn Springs distillery. In 1880 it was destroyed by fire.

1885: The distillery was rebuilt with McGee as sole owner and the name was changed to "Silas Jones". It had a mashing capacity of 65 bu.

1892: Insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 suggest describe the distillery as being of frame construction with a shingle roof. The property included two warehouses, both frame with shingle roofs:
Warehouse A -- located 180 ft east of the still.
Warehouse B -- located 180 ft east of the still and 8 ft from A.

At that time, it was being operated as the Silas Jones Distilling Co., "late McGee & Beam".

1902: Crigler & Crigler of Covington were producing their Crigler and Woodland brands here

1903: Nathan Uri acquired the plant and changed the name to the "International Distillery". It continued operating until Prohibition.

Review bonded warehouse transactions for this distillery

Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The Gwynn Springs Distillery as follows:
( explain: origin of these records, letter codes )

<top of page

Copyright © 2006-2020 www.pre-pro.com.  All rights reserved.