distillery search  |  pre-pro.com home


The Bond & Lillard Distillery
RD #274, 8 th District
Anderson County, KY

(Est. 1820)


Cecil (1999) provides much of the history that follows.

1820: The original distillery was built by John Bond on a site that was close to the W H McBrayer plant on Cedar Brook.

1836: The distillery was moved a short distance.

1842: John Bond died and the distillery passed to his son, David Bond.

1849: W F Bond (David's brother) took control. Bond partnered with his sister Margaret's husband, Christopher C Lillard, in 1869. Lillard had served as a Lieutenant with the 2nd Kentucky Infantry during the Civil War. He died in 1896.

1892: On June 16, the distillery was razed by fire with a loss of $10,000. The building was not insured (New York Times, 6-17-1892) .

Insurance underwriter records from 1895 note that a new distillery had been built. It was of iron-clad construction. The property included thee warehouses:
Warehouse No. 1 A -- , iron-clad with a metal or slate roof and located 76 ft south of the still. The warehouse was part Free
Warehouse No. 2 -- , frame with a metal or slate roof, located 135 ft SE of the still
Warehouse No. 3 -- , iron-clad with a metal or slate roof, located 170 ft north of the still.

1899: The distillery was acquired by The Trust, who improved it. Control of distillery operation was assumed by Stoll & Co. of Lexington, KY. Their letterheads and other advertising of the time showed them to be "Sole Proprietors."

The distillery closed with Prohibition, although the Bond & Lillard brand name continued to be used by AMS and its successors well into the later part of the century.

Review bonded warehouse transactions for this distillery

Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The Bond & Lillard Distillery as follows:
( explain: origin of these records, letter codes )

<top of page

Copyright © 2006-2021 www.pre-pro.com.  All rights reserved.