distillery search  |  pre-pro.com home


The Belle of Anderson County Distillery
RD #400, 8 th District
Anderson County, KY

(Est. 1881)


1881: Established by Brewer & Ross. (history is from Cecil, 1999).

1883: Sold to T B Ripy, who sold Edward Murphy & Michael L Dowling.

Edward Murphy (b. 1841) was also engaged as a distiller with Thomas B Ripy. He had moved to Anderson County in 1882 from Daviess County, where he had learned the distilling trade. Murphy was the son of Frank and Catherine Murphy, natives of Ireland, who emigrated and settled in Indiana (Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 5th ed., 1887). Edward Murphy left Indiana in 1873.

1888: Dowling sold his interest in the distillery to Murphy.

1892: Insurance underwriter records suggest that the distillery was of frame construction with a metal or slate roof. The property included a two bonded warehouses:
Warehouse A No 1. -- frame construction with a metal or slate roof, 126 ft west of the still.
Warehouse B No 2, part Free -- frame construction with a metal or slate roof, 260 ft east of the still.

At that time, it was being operated by Ed Murphy & Co., or "Murphy & Dowling".

1907: Output was contracted for the next decade to E M Flexner of Louisville (Flexner Distilling Co?).

1912: The distillery was in receivership and was sold at the courthouse door for $7,600. The new owner remains known.

Review bonded warehouse transactions for this distillery

Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The Belle of Anderson County Distillery as follows:
( explain: origin of these records, letter codes )

<top of page

Copyright © 2006-2021 www.pre-pro.com.  All rights reserved.