distillery search | pre-pro.com home
Cecil (1999) notes that W B Saffell had worked for W H McBrayer for 20 years prior to setting up his distillery in 1889.
Insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 suggest that the distillery was iron-clad. The property included a cattle barn 63 ft SE of the still-house, and two bonded warehouses:
Warehouse A -- frame construction with a metal or slate roof, 250 ft west of the still.
Warehouse B -- frame construction with a metal or slate roof, 130 ft west of the still and 10 ft from warehouse A.
A cistern room was located 103 ft west of the still.
Saffell died in 1910 at age 68, but the distillery continued on until Prohibition. It was not reopened after Repeal.
Review bonded warehouse transactions for this distillery
Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The W B Saffell Distillery as follows:
( explain: origin of these records, letter codes )
- 1898: W B Saffell -- D, T, G, W
- 1901: W B Saffell -- D, T, G, W
- 1903: W B Saffell -- D, T, W
- 1904: W B Saffell -- D, T, G, W
- 1914: W B Saffell -- no details given
- 1914: W B Saffell Inc. -- no details given
- 1920: W B Saffell Inc. -- no details given
Copyright © 2006-2021 www.pre-pro.com. All rights reserved.