distillery search | pre-pro.com home
The distillery was being run by A G Diehl & Co. of Cincinnati from 1874 or earlier. They produced whiskey under the "Edgewood" brand name.
A G Diehl & Co. consisted of Adam Diehl and his brother-in-law T W Paxton, who later took over the company and ran it as Paxton Bros Co.
By 1887, Cincinnati directories show that operations have been organized under the The Edgewood Distilling Co. name, with T W Paxton as President, J F Filler as Vice President, A G Diehl as Secretary & Treasurer.
Insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 suggest that the distillery was of frame construction with a metal or slate roof. The property included hog pens located 68 ft west of the distillery, and two bonded warehouses:
Warehouse No. 1 -- frame construction with a metal or slate roof, 128 ft east of the still.
Warehouse No. 2 -- frame construction with a metal or slate roof, 123 ft east of the still and 6 ft from No. 1.
The insurance records note that the still was being operated by W H Traylor as Paxton Bros. & Co., formerly Edgewater Distillery Co.
The dates are uncertain, but Henry Traylor was owner of the distillery, apparently as early as 1892, and leased it to the Edgewood Distilling Company. Cecil (1999) suggests that the distillery was purchased by a G W Traylor in 1910 and it continued operations after his death in 1911.
Review bonded warehouse transactions for this distillery
Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The Edgewood Distillery as follows:
( explain: origin of these records, letter codes )
- 1898: Paxton Bros & Co. -- D, T, B, X, E, W
- 1901: Paxton Bros & Co. -- D, T, (casualty) B, W
- 1903: Paxton Bro. & Co. -- D, T, B, W
- 1904: Paxton Bros. & Co. -- D, T, B, G, W
- 1914: Paxton Bros. Co. -- no details given
Copyright © 2006-2021 www.pre-pro.com. All rights reserved.