distillery search  |  pre-pro.com home


The Blue Grass Distillery
RD #3, 8 th District
Jessamine County, KY



The Blue Grass distillery was built on the Kentucky River at Hickman Creek on one side of Boone's Knoll (a steep hill formation). Around 1880, E J Curley build a second distillery of stone on the other side of the knoll: this was known as the Boone Knoll distillery, or RD #15 of the 8th district.

The two distilleries operated essentially as one and shared the storage facilities. Insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 reported that RD #15 was new and constructed of stone. RD #3 was of frame construction. There were four shared warehouses on the property, along with cattle sheds and pens.
Warehouse B -- iron-clad with a metal or slate roof, 100 ft north of the orginal distillery. It housed barrels from both distilleries.
Warehouse D -- iron-clad with a metal or slate roof. It was located 150 ft NW of the orginal distillery.
Warehouse E -- iron-clad with a metal or slate roof, 300 ft east of the orginal distillery.
Warehouse C -- iron-clad with a metal or slate roof, 600 ft west of the orginal distillery. This warehouse was new as of 1892.

At the time (1892), RD #3 was owned by E J Curley & Co.

RD #15 was a magnificent stone building that came to be known as Curley's distillery. When Prohibition was enacted, it was converted to a hotel but reverted to its prior use after Repeal. It ceased operations in 1971 and is now on the Register of Historic Buildings.

Review bonded warehouse transactions for this distillery

Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The Blue Grass Distillery as follows:
( explain: origin of these records, letter codes )

<top of page

Copyright © 2006-2021 www.pre-pro.com.  All rights reserved.